1. LEGISLATIVE REFORM
- ACCOUNTABILITY TO THE TAXPAYERS:
- Require an independent auditing firm to conduct a comprehensive audit of the General Assembly for waste, fraud and mismanagement.
- CITIZEN INCLUSION IN THE LEGISLATIVE PROCESS:
- Mandate that the “PA Sunshine Law” apply uniformly to all legislative sessions, meetings and hearings conducted by State Government, granting appropriate access to the public and media.
- Disallow passage of any legislation that has not strictly met the procedural rigor detailed in Sections 1-4, Article III, of the Pennsylvania Constitution.
- ENACT STRICT LOBBYING REFORM:
- Enact a five-year waiting period for former legislators and cabinet officials to become lobbyists.
- Eliminate gifts to public officials from lobbyists for any entity desiring business with the Commonwealth.
- Require legislators to abstain from voting on any legislation that could benefit their personal or business interests.
2. POLITICAL REFORM
- RESTORING THE CONCEPT OF A CITIZEN LEGISLATURE:
- Enact a Constitutional Amendment limiting the number of years Senators and Representatives can serve to 12 years in each legislative body.
- Enact term limits on committee chairmanships and leadership positions.
- OPENNESS AND TRANSPARENCY IN GOVERNMENT:
- Will post the senator’s votes within 24 hours of each session day.
- ENDING TAXPAYER SUBSIDIZED INCUMBENT PROTECTION:
- Rein in taxpayer subsidized newsletters and public service announcements, which are tools for reelection and further the status quo in Harrisburg.
3. TAXATION AND SPENDING REFORM
- STOP THE SPENDING SPREE IN HARRISBURG:
- Implement the Taxpayers Bill of Rights (TABOR) to strictly limit increases in state spending to the concurrent rates of inflation and population growth.
- Eliminate unfunded mandates to the counties, municipalities and school districts in the Commonwealth, which shift the tax increases to these taxing bodies.
- Limit the ability of politicians to distribute tax dollars to special interests.
- AN END TO BURDENING THE TAXPAYER:
- Require a three-fifths majority to pass a tax increase.
- Work to eliminate property taxation.
- Eliminate “nuisance taxes.”
4. LEGAL AND LABOR LAW REFORM
- END THE JACKPOT JUSTICE SYSTEM:
- Pass a constitutional amendment giving the General Assembly broader authority to implement commonsense legal reform.
- Reform lawsuit abuse by ending unlimited jury awards and enforcing a “loser pays” rule.
- PROMOTE WORKERS’ FREEDOM:
- End forced unionism in Pennsylvania, giving people the freedom to choose whether or not they want to join a union.
I hereby pledge my name to this Promise to Pennsylvania.
Senator Mike Folmer